Always be first to know about the latest donations coming into the shop! Every time we get a box of something special, we'll blog it right here. That way you won't end up coming in right after the books you wanted got sold. We look forward to seeing you often and making your book shopping much easier!



Friday, October 7, 2011

Physics (1953) -- SOLD

Methods of Theoretical Physics, Part I, by Philip M. Morse (HC, 1953, 997 pages, not including the index pages, $15, which is 1/3 the current internet price.)

In the preface, Morse writes that the areas "in which the most noticeable advances have been made in the past twenty years are mostly concerned with fields rather than with particles, with wave functions, fields of force, electromagnetic and acoustic potentials, all of which are solutions of partial differential equations and are specified by boundary conditions. The present treatise concentrates its attention on this general area."

Non of that means anything to me, but if you know physics it probably will to you. Unfortunately, this is only volume I of 2, which is too bad. It is volume two that has the figures drawn for stereoscopic viewing. Now even though I don't know anything about physics, I do know about stereoscopic viewing, and the technique that Morse so carefully describes is nearly impossible to do without a lot of practise, and even with practise I still can't make my eyes bend that way. None of which has anything to do with the book we are selling, but hey, how often do I get a chance to discuss stereoscopic viewing?