Always be first to know about the latest donations coming into the shop! Every time we get a box of something special, we'll blog it right here. That way you won't end up coming in right after the books you wanted got sold. We look forward to seeing you often and making your book shopping much easier!



Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Boyhood in Baltimore During WWII

Defending Baltimore Against Enemy Attack: A Boyhood Year During WWII, by Charles Osgood (TPB, 2004, $1.75)

The author writes in the prelude, "That year, 1942, was the best of times for a Baltimore boy who always seemed to be feeling good, and the worst of times for a nation reeling from the first blows of WWII. However, in spite of their opposite states, the kid and the country were connected from the moment the year began, a watershed year for America and a long warm bath for me."

My father was 4 years older than this author. Dad's memories were not as sunny, probably because he was older, and had older brothers. For this boy, life revolved around baseball, movies, radio shows, and going to Catholic school.  Children were sent out to play without supervision. Mail was delivered TWICE a day. Local phone calls cost 5 cents each.  I chuckled as I read this book, all the while knowing how grim and scary the world was then for adults. Look for this book on the new non-fiction table, avail.12/21.

PS: I was aware that the TV Superman had, in real life, died. But I did not know until now that in 1941 the radio Lone Ranger had too. At least "my" Lone Ranger lived until 12 years ago. By then I was of an age to be able to handle my sadness.