Always be first to know about the latest donations coming into the shop! Every time we get a box of something special, we'll blog it right here. That way you won't end up coming in right after the books you wanted got sold. We look forward to seeing you often and making your book shopping much easier!



Thursday, May 31, 2012

James Arness, as The Thing!!!!! **SOLD**

The Thing From Another World, a Howard Hawks movie, 1951, B&W, VHS tape, $0.50)

I just finished watching this. It is wonderfully awful. For awhile I was trying to find James Arness among the actors. Finally I realized he was the monster. The movie is advertised with him in the staring role, but actually he doesn't have many scenes.

I still loved the movie, if only to watch for stupid stuff, like people wearing trench coats in minus 60 degree weather. Or the military leader continuously flirting with his girlfriend while he readies the station for attack. There are other choice moments but I will leave them for you to catch. Look for this tape on top of the bookcase of VHS tapes.

My, James Arness was a tall man. When he played Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke they had to get him an oversized horse. Even so, poor horse.