Always be first to know about the latest donations coming into the shop! Every time we get a box of something special, we'll blog it right here. That way you won't end up coming in right after the books you wanted got sold. We look forward to seeing you often and making your book shopping much easier!



Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Ultimate Adventure Sourcebook

The Ultimate Adventure Sourcebook: snowmobiling, bicycling, youth programs, ballooning, hanggliding, horseback, dogsledding, motorcycling, paragliding, auto sport, travel tips, sailing, rafting, fishing, skiing, mountaineering, windsurfing, arctic trips, trekking, nature trips, nordic skiing, 4-WD Tours, survival, jungle trips, skydiving, kayaking, canoeing, soaring, safaris, and diving, edited by Paul McMenamin (oversize TPB, 1992, $3)

I am such a coward. NONE of these things ever interested me, even when I was younger, and occasionally fit. Well, on second thought, I did use to bike, and I took riding lessons for a summer. I also spent one memorable Memorial Day Weekend fishing and canoeing, along with rowing, cleaning fish, and camping. I remember it fondly for the most part, but also still remember the bugs, the cold and damp, the sore arms from rowing, the finger "boo-boo" after a fish bit it, that ugly black thing stuck to the back of my leg after swimming, and the shame of losing my fishing lure under a sunken log. I also remember finally taking a bath, and being shocked to find out just how stinky one can get after a week camping without bathing. Mind you, I wouldn't trade it for the world. But I also never ever wanted to try it again.

If you, on the other hand, have courage unheard of in my galaxy, then this is the book for you. Note: these prices and information are 20 years old, but you can still get an idea from this book of what is available, and to where to start looking. Look for it on the new non-fiction table. (L-Sp)