Always be first to know about the latest donations coming into the shop! Every time we get a box of something special, we'll blog it right here. That way you won't end up coming in right after the books you wanted got sold. We look forward to seeing you often and making your book shopping much easier!



Sunday, May 20, 2012

When you lose your job...

What Smart People Do When Losing Their Jobs, by Kathleen A. Riehle (TPB, 1991, $2)

This book is dated, but a lot of its advice is still useful. I remember when my dad lost his job I was just beginning my senior year at the University of Rochester. Talk about stress, and it wasn't just the financial stuff. Dad came from a family where you always worked to provide for your family, and suddenly he couldn't. Everyone in the family was so scared we stopped talking to one another. Of course that was just what we should not have done. I also remember the unemployment officer telling Dad he should not have left Maryland to attend my college graduation, but that he would let it slide. To be in your fifties, and be told you shouldn't attend your only child's college graduation...

To anyone who is going through this, you are not alone. And if this book even helps just a little, I will be so pleased. Hang in there.

Look for this on the new non-fiction table, avail. 5/27.  (L- ?)