Always be first to know about the latest donations coming into the shop! Every time we get a box of something special, we'll blog it right here. That way you won't end up coming in right after the books you wanted got sold. We look forward to seeing you often and making your book shopping much easier!



Monday, June 4, 2012

The Filming of Narnia

Camera's in Narnia: How The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe Came to Life, by Ian Brodie (small TPB, 2005, $1)

I am not a huge fan of CS Lewis. I have never read his book about a wardrobe, nor seen the film, but maybe I should. What I liked about this book is its description of what each crew-member does. Gaffers, dollys, and best boys- now I know what they all do. Then there is the way caterers feed 600 people three-course meals in just one hour even in the middle of nowhere. And did you know that stuffing from disposable diapers makes real-looking snow? (I thought they used potato buds!)

What you will like is finding out how the film was made. What you won't like, even more that I didn't, was how small the print and photos are. What were those studio staff publicists thinking!

As you can see, I learned a lot and you will too, just remember to bring a bright light and a squint.  Look for this on the new non-fiction table. (L-mov)