Always be first to know about the latest donations coming into the shop! Every time we get a box of something special, we'll blog it right here. That way you won't end up coming in right after the books you wanted got sold. We look forward to seeing you often and making your book shopping much easier!



Friday, September 16, 2011

I, the Aboriginal

I, the Aboriginal, by Douglas Lockwood (TPB, 1988, $8, which is 1/3 the internet price.)

Lockward tells the life story of his countryman, Waipuldanya:

"I'm a full-blood Aboriginal of the Alawa tribe... in the Northern Territory. I have been through the fires of tribal initiation. .. I married a tribal woman chosen for me... My life changed dramatically in 1953... when a white doctor chose me as his driver and orderly. Since then I have treated white and black people with the white man's medicine... In spite of my knowledge, my acquired citizenship and sophistication, I am still and always shall be an Aboriginal. I have a duty to the tribe."  Waipuldanya was given the Medal of Freedom by the Australian government. This is his story. Look for it on the new non-fiction table. Avail. 9/17.