Always be first to know about the latest donations coming into the shop! Every time we get a box of something special, we'll blog it right here. That way you won't end up coming in right after the books you wanted got sold. We look forward to seeing you often and making your book shopping much easier!



Saturday, September 17, 2011

Church Revivals (1901)

The Why, When and How of Revivals, by Bishop Mallalieu (small HC, 1901, $3.50)

I was interested in this book because I thought it would talk about the kind of revivals that had tents. Instead, this book talks more about general religious revival and the conversion of sinners. "Times are perilous."  Rum, "the dance, the theater, vile pictures, and vile literature combine to corrupt our youth." The Bishop also talks against "blind" ministers of the church, ones that "know their Shakespeare better than they know the Bible", ones that make rituals too important, and those who call themselves "progressive theologians" who are found in the "so-called liberal Churches" and who read Voltaire, Paine, and Spinoza. (Oops, what did the Bishop think of CRDS? Confession: my father was a graduate of Colgate, and yes he did at least like Paine.)

I found interesting the writer's disagreement with the time revivals were usually held, the first week of January. Thinking of all that snow in our area, I can see his point.  I did feel a kinship to him during his section on "looking out for strangers". He writes of attending a church where no one spoke to him, not even the janitor. Most churches I have attended as a stranger have been a lot more friendly than that, but there were a few...

Even though I may personally be of a much more liberal leaning than Bishop Mallalieu, I find myself in some parts agreeing with him. Read this book and make up your own mind. (It can be found in the Protestant religion section, avail. 9/19.)