Always be first to know about the latest donations coming into the shop! Every time we get a box of something special, we'll blog it right here. That way you won't end up coming in right after the books you wanted got sold. We look forward to seeing you often and making your book shopping much easier!



Monday, September 5, 2011

WWII- Heroes and Villians

Hitler's Scientists: Science, War and the Devil's Pact, by John Cornwell (HC, 2003, $3.50)

"For the first three decades of the twentieth century, Germany held the premier position for science throughout the world. German scientists were the most accomplished and honored in their fields, winning the lion's share of Nobel prizes. But in 1933 came Hitler. Jewish scientists were dismissed... Nazi ideology began to dominate Germany's science communities. Some scientists enthusiastically collaborated... most merely acquiesced, arguing that science lies outside politics and morality. By the end of the WWII few German scientists remained untainted by a regime bent on genocide and racial conquest." Cromwell asks whether scientists are truly responsible for the consequences of their discoveries. Can science of the 21st century be kept outside politics and morality? History says no. So now what do we do?

The Wooden Horse, by Eric Williams (HC, 1950, $3.50, which is 1/3 the Internet price.)
In 1942 two British officers made a wooden horse and by means of it escaped from a German prison camp. Incredibly they made it back to England, only to find that, for them, even at home there would be no "normal"..

In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors, by Doug Stanton (HC, 2001, $3.50)
This is the story most close to me. Many years ago when I was still working as a nurse I had a patient who played big band music on his radio. We got to talking and he told me he was a WWII vet. "I was on the USS Indi.", he said. (I looked at him blankly.) " We carried the atomic bomb across the Pacific." (I was starting to look interested.) "We were sunk by the Japanese on our trip home."  (Now I was horrified.) "After we were rescued, that second ship was also sunk, but this time we were only in the water for a short time." (That was awful, and I told him so.)  And no more was said.

Many people of my generation learned of the Indi. sinking from its mention in the movie Jaws. I had seen Jaws, but the reference had slipped on by me. It had to have been more than 10 years later that I again heard of the Indi., remembered the man's story, and realized just how much he had left out. I will always feel regret that I hadn't been able to appreciate how much he had lost and suffered to defend America and freedom. I had met a hero, but since he didn't tell me he was one, I didn't know it. At least now I can say to you, "Read this book so you will know", and to that sailor, a much belated "Thank you".

You can find these books on the new non-fiction table.