Always be first to know about the latest donations coming into the shop! Every time we get a box of something special, we'll blog it right here. That way you won't end up coming in right after the books you wanted got sold. We look forward to seeing you often and making your book shopping much easier!



Monday, September 12, 2011

Math

The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics, by Clifford Pickover  (HC, 2009, $6, which is 1/3 the internet price)

"Journey with Pickover as he traces 250 achievements like ancient ant "odometers," the first abacus, the discovery of computer-generated fractals, and the quest for new dimensions. Here also are remarkable thinkers from Pythagoras and Euclid to modern-day math  icon Martin Gardner and cosmologist Max Tegmark. Chronologically organized, each entry is short enough to digest in a few minutes and is presented along with a striking full-color image."

"For me," writes Pickover, "mathematics cultivates a perpetual state of wonder about the nature of mind, the limits of thoughts, and our place in this vast cosmos."

Even though I don't understand much of those last two paragraphs, I can still swear to this being the most amazing math book I have ever seen. Those 250 "striking full-color images" are like nothing I have ever seen, even in art books. (f you want this book you had better get here quick- before I buy it for myself just so I look at the art!)

Look for it on the new non-fiction table.