Always be first to know about the latest donations coming into the shop! Every time we get a box of something special, we'll blog it right here. That way you won't end up coming in right after the books you wanted got sold. We look forward to seeing you often and making your book shopping much easier!



Monday, January 23, 2012

Caring For Your Elderly Parents

Caring For Your Elderly Parents: The Help, Hope, Cope Book, by Patricia H. Rushford (TPB, 1994, $2.25)

Many of you may be in the position I was ten years ago. My father was aging, and his Parkinson's was getting worse. Plus, he lived in Maryland, and I lived here in Rochester. What was I to do? Whatever it was, I was the only family there was, so I had to do something. But what?

This book was written a while back. There are a lot more services and options now, especially in Rochester, but the decisions remain tough, and life will continue to be stressful for what seems to be an eternity. My advice is to reach out to family, friends and community,  to learn as much as you can about options, speak openly to your parents, and to realize there is only so much you can do. One of the hardest realizations I had was when I realized there was nothing more I could do, and that what I was already doing was no longer enough. That is when I cried, a lot, and then did what needed to be done to keep my father safe.

Reading this book will give you some ideas. In the Rochester area you can contact the organization Lifespan for assistance. Also, check the internet or your local library for more recent information. Look for this book on the new non-fiction table, but there are more books in the health section.

Hang in there. Remember, you are not alone, even if it feels like it.