Always be first to know about the latest donations coming into the shop! Every time we get a box of something special, we'll blog it right here. That way you won't end up coming in right after the books you wanted got sold. We look forward to seeing you often and making your book shopping much easier!



Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Do You Remember the 6Os?

Maybe you do, and maybe not. Me, I remember them, but through the fog of my early teen years when TV shows and what I wore mattered more than Kent State. TV shows seemed more real, or at least more safe. Kent State, the Black Panthers, heroin, LSD, the draft and Vietnam, the assasinations, the SDS, the Chicago Democratic Convention... all swirled together into this unreal nightmare that most of the time I managed to put out of mind. I was too busy fighting over stupid stuff with my parents. Plus, all that bad stuff was happening to "other people", not to people I knew. It was the early 70s when the nightmares hit home. The draft ended the year before I graduated. Still, I knew friends who got hooked on heroin and disappeared from school, and I lost a friend when she joined the Panthers. But during the 60s I was still walking around in an bubble of innocence, too young to realize that the stresses my parents showed were not just due to me. I try to explain this time to my younger friends, and they don't get it. Just like I did't get it when I was living through it.

We have a number of books about the 60s, as you may have figured out by now. (Otherwise why did I just do all that pondering and rambling? ) These 60s books are located in a box on the floor of the American history section.