Always be first to know about the latest donations coming into the shop! Every time we get a box of something special, we'll blog it right here. That way you won't end up coming in right after the books you wanted got sold. We look forward to seeing you often and making your book shopping much easier!



Friday, January 6, 2012

A John Verdon Mystery **SOLD**

Shut Your Eyes Tight, by John Verdson (HC, 2011, $4)

I don't normally blog fiction, but this mystery is special. I made the mistake of starting it one evening, and for 509 pages couldn't put it down. The sun was well up by the time I finished. Even though I was pretty tired by then, I still had to say "WOW" after "all" had been revealed.

Poor former NYPD homicide cop, Dave Gurney, is now retired. He and his wife live in the country. His wife is happy. He is not. His former partner asks for a consultation in a four month old murder case. A famous psychiatrist had married a former patient. It is time for the wedding toast, and he goes to get her, but instead finds her body seated at a table, but her head on the table. Who did the evil deed? Probably  the gardener, who is now missing. Also missing is the neighbor's wife, who was thought to have been having an affair with the gardener. It is now four months later, and neither the gardener or the wife have been found. Where are they now, and did they do the deed? Gurney is itching to find out. Keeping his marriage requires he turn away. Guess which he decides to do?

Since this tale lasts for over 500 pages, it is safe to assume that all is not what it seems. I read a lot of mysteries, but even I didn't see where all the twists were leading. 500 pages! I never read a book that long. But I did this one, and I plan on reading Verdon's first book, no matter how many pages it is. (Note this is a very recent book, thus the higher price.) Look for it in the mystery section, avail. 1/11.